I first encountered research on
- Diets only working short-term
- Yo-yo dieting leading to weight gain
- Eating well and exercising improving your health, even if you don’t lose weight
… in the pages of the 1980s BBW magazine, along with the general idea that you don’t have to be thin to live a happy life. I even went to a BBW-magazine sponsored fashion show at the Seattle Bon Marche (since rebranded Macy’s) in 1990 or 1991 and got to meet the editor, Carole Shaw, who coined the term BBW.
- Women En Large: Images of Fat Nudes
- FAT!SO? : Because You Don’t Have to Apologize for Your Size
- Big Fat Lies: The Truth About Your Weight and Your Health
(This may also lead you to believe that I’m over 40. This is correct! :)
How about you? When did you learn about fat acceptance?