I first encountered research on
- Diets only working short-term
- Yo-yo dieting leading to weight gain
- Eating well and exercising improving your health, even if you don’t lose weight
… in the pages of the 1980s BBW magazine, along with the general idea that you don’t have to be thin to live a happy life. I even went to a BBW-magazine sponsored fashion show at the Seattle Bon Marche (since rebranded Macy’s) in 1990 or 1991 and got to meet the editor, Carole Shaw, who coined the term BBW.
It was also in 1990 I got my first job in software and discovered UseNet, including the alt.support.big-folks community. It was through asb-f that I learned of:
- Women En Large: Images of Fat Nudes
- FAT!SO? : Because You Don’t Have to Apologize for Your Size
- Big Fat Lies: The Truth About Your Weight and Your Health
(This may also lead you to believe that I’m over 40. This is correct! :)
How about you? When did you learn about fat acceptance?
Leave a Reply